- Krishi Vigyan Kendra Bhandara having vermicompost unit with view for demonstration purpose for farmers, Rural youth.
- The name of species of earth warm Eisenia fetida was used for preparation of vermicompost unit.
- The size of vermicompost unit is 30 feet in length and 10 feet in breadth.
- The size of pit is 15 feet in length and 1 meter in breadth.
- Vermicompost contains water soluble nutrients and is an excellent nutrient rich organic fertilizer.
Vermicompost is the process by which worms are used to convert organic materials (usually wastes) into a humus-like material known as vermicompost.Vermicompost is stable, fine granular organic manure, which enriches soil quality by improving its physicochemical and biological properties. It is highly useful in raising seedlings and for crop production. Vermicompost is becoming popular as a major component of organic farming system.
Species suitable for vermicomposting:-
There are different species of earthworms viz. Eisenia foetida (Red earthworm), Eudrilus eugeniae (night crawler), Perionyx excavatus etc. Red earthworm is preferred because of its high multiplication rate and thereby converts the organic matter into vermicompost within 45-50 days. Since it is a surface feeder it converts organic materials into vermicompost from top.
- Decomposable organic wastes such as animal excreta, kitchen waste, farm residues and forest litter are commonly used as composting materials. In general, animal dung mostly cow dung and dried chopped crop residues are the key raw materials. Mixture of leguminous and non-leguminous crop residues enriches the quality of vermicompost
- Vermicompost has the following advantages over chemical fertilizers:-
- It restores microbial population which includes nitrogen fixers, phosphate solubilizers etc.
- Provides major and micro- nutrients to the plants.
- Improves soil texture and water holding capacity of the soil.
- Provides good aeration to soil, thereby improving root growth and proliferation of beneficial soil microorganisms.
- Decreases the use of pesticides for controlling plant pathogens.
- Improves structural stability of the soil, thereby preventing soil erosion.
Production of Vermicomost at KVK Bhandara